POLICY ON ENVIRONMENTAL COMPATIBILITY / COMMUNITY SUPPORT / EMPLOYEE WELFARE
Paradise @ Koh Yao & SERENATA Hotels & Resorts Group, applies a notion of sustainable tourism in our corporate mission statement, which includes the well being of our employees, support for local communities, & protecting & preserving the environment. We offer jobs to locals & empower them to be able to work at professional standards of hospitality service, as well as teaching them to nurture their natural surroundings. Taking into account our commitment to following socially responsible policies, we are an environmentally friendly company that cares about the local people & the environment.
The following points summarise our philosophy:
1. Maintain the resort’s ecosystem & preserve local plants & the wildlife habitat of Koh Yao Noi. Maintain the present habitat for the Hornbills & other species present at the resort. Our resort is located in the jungle & we have an on-going program to maintain the jungle habitat, by planting new native trees & plants every month. In addition to our regular tree-planting program, Paradise @ Koh Yao encourages all wedding couples to plant a coconut palm to commemorate their wedding day.
2. Help to reduce global warming by purchasing products & services that are environmentally friendly & compatible with the local environment. We produce a lot of our own organic vegetables, & herbs in our organic garden. We invite guests to take a tour of the garden & learn more about Thai herbs. Besides being used in the dishes served in our restaurant, guests pick vegetables & herbs to cook with, when they take our cooking classes.
3. Manage & control wastewater disposal in order to avoid pollution of the environment & do our best to conserve water & energy. Each department follows a schedule for turning off air conditioners in offices, there is also a policy of turning off all lights around the resort that are not being used. Beach lights operate on timers, & mini-bars are unplugged in rooms that are not being used.
4. Minimise waste & be responsible in disposing of waste, so as not to disturb the local community. Our staff separates garbage correctly. Our bamboo garbage trash bins in the guest area, are divided into sections for recyclable waste & non-recyclable waste. Our recyclable waste is bought by recycling companies. Our resort has a strong policy of reusing & recycling plastic containers, with an on-going commitment & goal to reduce & remove all unnecessary use of plastic. Our staff is educated to be responsible for the environment & we use cloth bags wherever possible.
5. Recruit local residents from the island in order to generate additional income for the local community. Purchase local products & services, which do not harm the environment, to support the local economy. Work to build a sense of environmental awareness in the local community. Participate in community activities, to improve the wellbeing of the local people.
6. Treat the staff fairly in line with the Thai labor laws. Build a solid social support system for the staff, in-line with, & wherever possible exceeding, industry standards. Encourage staff participation in the staff welfare benefits & HR policies (via staff committees).
7. The resort has a smoke-free policy, so all of our guest rooms & public rooms are non-smoking areas. Our policy is in line with Thailand’s Smoke Free Law.